Monument of Independence was unveiled by initiative of Kretinga rifle company in 1931 (authors - stone masters Jonas and Juozas Akinskas). Monument was destroyed in 1948. Remains of monument were found in Akmena river and forwarded to Kretinga museum in 1989.
Monument was rebuilt and unveiled on 16th of February in 1990. Restoration project author - Edmundas Giedrimas, hewer - Vincas Stonys. Cast metal decorations were restored by sculptor Robertas Antinis (junior).
Address: Rotušės sq., Kretinga
Coordinates: 55.888752, 21.241817